05 May 2008

The Verve. Toronto. 1 May 2008.

I just feel as though a post on this is necessary, as The Verve at the Ricoh Coliseum was without a shadow of a doubt the most mind-blowing, visceral concert I've ever attended. From the opener (the absolutely amazing 'Almost There') to the brand-new song closer (I believe it's called 'Love is Noise', but I'm not 100% on that), I have never felt as connected to the music at a gig as I did last Thursday evening.

My only complaint would be the fans. I am developing a horrible attitude towards so-called 'music lovers' in Toronto, who show up to see the greatest band of the 1990's and proceed to sit quietly with their arms folded, devour popcorn and corn dogs as though they're at a hockey game, and exit after the sketchy Ashcroft-penned radio hits are performed. I feel like their dopey-eyed looks, chubby bodies and lifeless, uninspired gestures are actually an insult to the band, as well as to the city of Toronto. I simply wish they would stay at home from now on, because really, they behave as though they're on the couch anyways, so they might as well be there, perhaps even nodding their head dispassionately to Ashcroft's solo garbage
?

Finally, I shook Nick McCabe's hand. I think I probably frightened him a little bit, considering I ran up to him shouting and wide-eyed, but seriously, the fact that I shook the hand of one of the most brilliant guitarists of my generation is definitely a defining moment of my existence, and one which will not be easily forgotten.

P.S. I wish I could find a photo to include of the whole band, but turns out the only photos available from that night are of Ashcroft (and a slight few of McCabe). Tis a shame, but at the same time I refuse to waste my time at concerts as superb as this one taking pictures with a useless camera phone or the like as it is, yet again, an insulting move.



Photo credit: ChromeWaves

No comments: